Sunday, September 03, 2006

The Wiki Bandwagon

I've decided to step onto the Wiki bandwagon. I have a teacher friend who has a classroom full of wireless laptops she received last year with a Title IID grant. She also got a set of CPS units this year, and her students are going wild with them! A CPS unit is a set of little remote control "clickers" that students can use to answer questions. The software package can keep up with the correct/incorrect answers a student gives. I want to introduce this teacher to the world of a Wiki, possibly beginning by just giving them a place to host essay paragraphs, definitions, maybe some pictures, etc. I've done a little reading about it today, and I think I'm going to give it a try. I think I'll start by doing the Lifehacker "introduction" to wikis. I've got one set up on my home computers now that is not on the Web. I think this can be a good way to get started. To read the Lifehacker page on personal computer wikis, click here. It took me a few minutes to figure out the "server" side software as the command line commands didn't exactly work as notated on the site. However, once I got going things were pretty simple!

No comments: